Sunday, March 27, 2011

sadness


i can’t find the words.
i don’t want this to be

one of those pages where i just stare
for what seems forever at an empty page

            how do i express this one?
            there are no words…

mathematics describes the infinite
science describes the finite

poetry is the hearts way
of becoming tangible in the world

this sadness…. why am i sad?
because i have found a love
           
            as pure as gold, who needs definite
            or indefinite, space and time from me

there are no words.
there is no way to express this

there are some dialects of the heart
that even poetry doesn't understand

there are some forms of sadness
that can only be, secrets of the heart

            this is one of them.

i'd give my favorite words
to have you next to me

i'd give my best couplets
to have my head on your chest again

and if it cost me a thousand poems
to have one day with you,

i'd spend every moment in poetic prose
just so when i looked up from the page

i could see your good
shining through that warm smile

yes, i'd give up my words for you to be mine
each and every last one....            
           
            my greatest passion
            for my greatest love

i'd start with the ones that were with me in adolescence
the ones that comforted me when i was 14, alone and ashamed

then, i'd give up my words that were my only companions
in the darkest moments of my life
           
            i'd go through it all again, but this time alone
            if you'd be mine

every stroke, every comma, every period
and every instance of creative contemplation

my closest friends
my most intimate companions

            i'd give them all away for you
           
you once told me that death is the great equalizer
your depth amazed me in that moment

            yes.... and so is love
            as its here, in this sadness that nothing else identifies me

you've brought a poet to offer you his words.
can't you see what your love has done for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment